Free and Reduced Meal Applications and Instructions
- We will do our jobs in a professional manner
- We are accountable not only to Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau School District, but to the community as well
- We will strive to give quality customer service at all times
We support the Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau School District’s mission of teaching by providing a guaranteed level of performance that assures that all foods available in our schools are consistent with recommended dietary allowances and the dietary guidelines and when consumed, contribute to the development of lifelong, healthy eating habits.
“Plant the Seed” for a lifetime of healthy eating!
This Institution is an Equal Opportunity Provider.
Schools are not required to provide a milk substitute unless the need is supported by a signed statement from a licensed physician indicating that the need is based on a disability.
Most WI schools operate under the Offer vs Serve provision, which allows students to turn down items. Under that scenario, students who are lactose intolerant can turn down the milk under Offer vs Serve, and all are to have access to potable water. The water is the student’s “beverage”. Offering juice as a courtesy (USDA does not recognize this as a substitute for the fluid milk) is discouraged, as it can be perceived as favoritism toward students who are lactose intolerant.
The juice is really a way of providing a “beverage” and the option of water clearly satisfies that. Most students tend to prefer juice over water, and USDA recognizes the nutritional drawbacks of this so they place a limit on the amount of juice that can be offered, ½ cup daily.
High School Lunch
At the High School, an extensive à la carte program provides variety along with a rotating hot lunch menu. Lunch menus will be posted in the building.
Elementary Schools: The Breakfast Program features combinations such as hot breakfast items, muffins, cold cereal, toast, cheese sticks, fruit, juice, milk, etc. Breakfast is offered in the morning before classes. Calorie Ranges 350-500.
Please note: The G-E-T School Nutrition Team is happy to announce that we will be serving our 4K students breakfast in the morning when the students arrive to their buildings. Schools that serve meals to preschoolers and K-5 students in the same area at the same time may choose to follow the K-5 meal pattern. Breakfast menus and Free and Reduced applications are also available on this page.
Middle School: The Breakfast Program is offered in the morning before classes and a mid-morning breakfast is also available. Some à la carte items are available also for breakfast. String cheese, granola bars, fruit, juice and milk. Calorie Ranges 400-550.
High School: The Breakfast Program is offered in the morning before classes and at mid-morning break. Some à la carte breakfast items are also available. Calorie Ranges 450-600.
Delinquent Lunch Accounts (Policy 763)
The Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau School District is concerned about the nutritional welfare of our students and is committed to providing an excellent breakfast and lunch program.
The Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau School District uses an automated school food service accounting system to record payments and sales. The system functions as a debit system, similar to a checking account. It is expected that a positive balance be maintained in order for the student to participate in the lunch, milk and ala carte program. Parents/guardians who believe that the financial condition of their family qualifies for free or reduced meals shall be encouraged to make written application in accordance with the National School Lunch Act guidelines. Prior to the start of the school year, applications for free and reduced meals will be sent to every family with children enrolled in the school district. Applications can also be obtained through the District Office.
Payment reminders will be generated when an account balance is below $5.00. If an account incurs a negative balance of $50.00 or more, a parent meeting with an administrator will be scheduled.
A high school student whose account balance is depleted will be unable to participate in ala carte unless payment is made with cash.
This policy addresses school lunches only. The school district will not deny breakfast to a student, unless requested by a parent or guardian.
Free and Reduced Meals
- Did you know that if you apply and qualify it is strictly confidential? You can fill in the online application on your parent portal account, mail or drop off your paper application at the District Office. If your family qualifies your child(ren)s breakfast, lunch or milk participation will be recorded just like all paying students.
- Did you know that if you qualify for free or reduced meals, that the Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau School District qualifies for additional funds to help with teaching children to read?
- The more students that qualify for free or reduced meals, the more money the school district receives from the federal government in Title 1 and Sage Grant Funds. The purpose of Title 1 (Academic Achievement of the disadvantaged Act) program is to ensure All children regardless of their situation, have the opportunity to obtain high quality education by providing additional academic services and programs.
- The Sage Grant (Student Achievement Guarantee in Education) program is to help keep the classroom sizes for K-3 grade levels smaller along with academic curriculum designed to improve academic achievement.
The more students that qualify for free or reduced meals, the more opportunities the school district has to apply for other state and federal programs that are based on free or reduced percentages of students. Nutrition funds as well as EDUCATIONAL funds!
Please take time to fill out the form Sharing Information With Other Programs. Fill out the PDF and email or print it off and bring it to the District Office or your child's school secretary.
Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $.30 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch.
Forms may be picked up at your child’s school for the Wisconsin Free and Reduced Form to confidentially fill out.